Sunday, September 5, 2010

Girls Think Pink, Boys Think Blue

I never considered gifts as my love language, but recently I decided that thoughtful gifts is indeed a love language for me. I think that should be another category in the 5 love languages book. That being said, for the past 2 years I've been scouting out Tory Burch flats. I look at them every time we're in the mall, I talk about buying a pair, but don't because they're $200. I almost bought a pair at the woodburry commons outlet because they're $20 cheaper than retail, but decided not to because for just $20 cheaper, I have to settle for a color that I'm not crazy about. I hint at my husband saying that "oh I'm not crazy about gifts, but I definitely love being surprised with "thoughtful gifts" because it shows me that you've been attentive to what I talk about and want".

So for every occasion that has rolled around I'm thinking in my head "Oh this time he's going to get me those Tory Burch flats". Of course, I don't end up getting them. The topic of thoughtful gifts came up again a few weeks ago and he was like "yeah yeah I know you like thoughtful gifts, you've said it many times". So in my mind I'm like "YES! For our anniversary I'm fiiinally... getting... those... Tory Burch flats". He leads me on by telling me "Oh I have this perfect gift for you, but I don't know what color to pick and you're going to end up returning it".

Then he finally revealed what he was going to get me......A CAMERA BAG FROM ETSY!!!! Oh the disappointment.

So here is my thought process "uhm, when did I ever want a camera bag from Etsy???? Etsy sells crafts, what do these people know about the functionality of a camera bag??? I've told you many times the camera bag I will eventually get is a Shootsac. Geeze, you never hear what I'm saying or notice what I really want".

So here is hubby's thought process "Oh She talks about Tory Burch flats all the time, she must be saving up for it and since I don't know the color she wants, I'll just leave it up to her to buy them. I've been noticing that she doesn't really have a functional bag for her lenses and camera body, she shops on Etsy sometimes so I know a camera bag from Etsy would be a really thoughtful gift".

As you can see, Girls Think Pink, Boys Think Blue. We both have good intensions, but because we're created so differently, there is no way we will always be on the same wave length or be able to think for the other person. This is from the book Love and Respect. A book worth reading for everyone, not just for those who are in a relationship.

Today we celebrate our 6 years of marriage. Do we still love each other? Yes. Do we at times want to kill each other? Too many times. Do we miscommunicate? Almost everyday. Do we get so frustrated that we scream and slam some doors? You bet! Are we still committed to each other? Absolutely! Will we be there for each other when times are rough? You can put your money on it!

I'm not here to blast my marriage nor am I here to sugar coat anything. I'm only telling this story to encourage hopefully at least 1 person out there.  God has given me the perfect match in every way and I'm so thankful I have a husband who is extremely attentive to my needs and who won't give up on me even when I'm ready to give up. He cooks for me, cleans up after me, gives me massages (I had to train him really hard to do that), takes care of our son, brings home the dough, listens to my not very funny jokes. He's my biggest support and cheers me on in everything I do.

Maybe a good compromise for all of us is to think light purple?

5 comments:

Emily said...

What camera bag did he get you?

gyc220 said...

happy anniversary dear. hehe. it's always the same story that men are from mars and women are from venus

Thomas Liang said...

at least he didn't buy you a bowling ball!

HeeYoung said...

i like your post.

Selena said...

awww jenny!! happy anniversary!

Post a Comment